Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Control Your Own Mind

Hello Everyone,
Today I would like to discuss being your own advocate. In life this is important, but when it comes to your health it is even more crucial. I hear people complain that their doctor doesn't listen to them or that the doctor is too busy to talk to them.

I'm hear to point out that not only is that ridiculous, but you should never allow yourself to be in a position where you are at a disadvantage with your doctor. If you don't like the doctor you can always switch, but most people find that a hassle. However, if you choose to stay with this doctor, you need to start speaking up.

Remember this is YOUR body & YOUR mind, and no one will ever know your body like you do. Also, you are PAYING this doctor to treat you. The doctor's job is to help you stay healthy and treating you physical is only one part. Treating you with respect is also a requirement. It shouldn't even be a question.

Easier said than done I can hear many shouting at me. I know you're in the paper gown and it's hard to stand up for yourself when you feel so vulnerable. Even if you aren't in the paper gown, when the doctor walks in you immediately feel like he/she knows more than you so you'll just do what is said. Wrong! Yes, doctors did go to school for a long time to learn all about medicine. I believe that is wonderful and we are very grateful to have them learning all that we don't know, but there is more than that to consider.

Medicine is always changing and doctors are always learning as a result. Not all of them have the time to keep up on research or new developments. They are not infallible and it is important that we remember that. Doctors make mistakes, just like the rest of us. We are all human. Doctors also may not realize how they are treating their patients because their days are so overbooked they can become more focused on their schedule than spending more time with their patient. I am seeing a change of this more & more as doctors are focusing more on "patient care".

If you don't communicate with your doctor than they will be operating without all of the facts at their disposal. Arm yourself with a list of questions. I keep a notepad on my counter the week of an appointment & every time I walk by it I can add a new question. I forget once he comes in an starts asking his own or telling me what will happen next. If I have the paper than I can look at the end & tell him I had some more questions for him.

Also, write down any new research, theories or medicine you are interested in learning more about or even trying. If your doctor is not willing to listen to you and you have tried all you can think of to break through that. It's time to move on.

If you don't take control of your own mind and body then you can only blame yourself. Our health truly is the one thing that keeps us going to be able to participate in this thing we call life. Don't be passive in your own health care. Grab hold and take your control back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments to my blog. Please note that when you add a comment, it has to be approved by me before it will appear on the blog. Thanks for your support!!