Search This Blog

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Brain Awakening

Oh, Happy Day! I am feeling better today! I started a new medicine this morning called Provigil. It is an anti-fatigue medicine, typically prescribed for people with Narcolepsy. While I'm sure this condition isn't funny to those who suffer from it, I was a little amused. We all have our weak moments, right? So I digress. I was prescribed this back in January, but didn't fill it until right before my flare-up. So I didn't end up taking it. I felt I needed my rest to recover and that it would be counter-productive to energize myself when I needed to heal. So I waited.

I have felt better this week overall. I told Dave my biggest complaint at this point was feeling tired. So it seemed a good time to try the new meds. My neuro said to take a half of a pill at breakfast & a half a pill at lunch. If this didn't help then a whole at breakfast, and half at lunch, up to one whole one at each meal. I don't think it'll be necessary to increase.

So I wanted to start with a little caution since I didn't know how I would respond. I have seen many posts of how different MS patients have responded from energized to hyper to overwhelmed. So I decided to just do the half pill at breakfast. After an hour, my fatigue seemed to disappear and I felt pretty good. After around 3 hrs I thought I was a little hyper, heart racing slightly and had to catch my breath. I decided to skip the lunchtime pill. At about 1:30pm, I started crashing, fast. Fatigue was coming and weakness was spreading. I wanted to rest, but didn't really have the time.

Around 2:30, I re-evaluated myself. I calculated how long the effects had benefited me and came up with about 5 hours. So, I decided to take the other half. My thought is in 5 hrs it'll be time to put the kids to bed and wind down. So I gave it a try. It was better! I felt more energized again, but no hyper or heart racing, etc. So it occurs to me I was drinking my usual coffee in the morning. I know! Maybe, less caffeine with the Provigil, right? I mean I still want my coffee, but I could cut back until I find the best amount to limit the added effects. Hey trial & error was what I was going for today.

It is about 8:30 now, and I feel the effects wearing off. Getting tired, which is perfect since I should go to bed soon. But the best part is, I felt almost normal this afternoon. I mean normal like I haven't felt in two years! Don't get me wrong, there were some symptoms. Some leg weakness & pain, but I figured I didn't take my pain pill today. I need to manage both things better, but it's a start.

I also need to remind myself with Provigil that MS did not take a vacation that this is designed to wake me up a bit to function in my daily life. I got a little excited with the burst of energy & walked a little too fast. I caught myself falling in the parking lot. I caught myself! I'm fine, but I need to remember my limits and reap the benefits. My leg is still off, but I think this will be a good thing. I am hopeful and who could ask for more? So I have been using this tagline on & off, so I will end with it. Hoping for miracles & positive attitudes!

Thanks for all your love & support! It means the world to me!
Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments to my blog. Please note that when you add a comment, it has to be approved by me before it will appear on the blog. Thanks for your support!!